Friday, August 13, 2010

Race and Dr. Laura Schlessinger

When you're in a position where more than just your local community knows you, like Bill Clinton, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, and Dr. Laura Schlessinger, you really have to watch your back. Yes, many men cheat on their wives. Yes, many athletes smoke pot and party. Yes, many people say the "n" word and are racist, but again, when you're in a position where you have more "friends" than your Facebook says you do, you should be careful because you don't want the people you're being a role model to to follow your bad footsteps. I guess in a way, everyone needs to do that because you don't know who's watching you and you don't know who you affect. But seriously, if you're famous, come onnn!

But more on Dr. Laura Schlessinger: We still live in a racist world, or at least from my eyes, it's still pretty racist. For example: I hate it when people try to mimic Asian languages with the sounds of clanging pots and pans. I laugh it off, but really, I don't think it's okay. It's more okay when Asians joke about Asian mom's taking forever to take a photo, but if any of my Caucasian friends tried to pull that, I'd be thinking: excuse me, homegirl, what did you just say about my mama? I mean, there's stereotypes for a reason, but when you're not a minority, you can't make jokes about minorities. I'm glad that Dr. Laura Schlessinger apologized. I can't be sure that she meant it, but whoever advised her to was smart as it would at least boost her public relations from where it dropped to now. Come on Laura, you live in a world with white supremacy. I'm not hating, but just be careful, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment